Big Timber Fly Fishing
The ideal guided trout fishing experience immerses you in a serene environment, exciting fishing, companionable solitude -- an escape from the ordinary. Montana's scenic, uncrowded Big Timber country offers all this and more. And with Big Timber Fly Fishing you will enjoy it to the utmost!
Wild and diverse, the rivers of Big Timber country do not yield their secret easily. But our guides, full time Big Timber, Montana residents, have lived in partnership with these waters for years. Wade fishing and float trips on the Boulder and Yellowstone Rivers are our specialty.
Big Timber Fly fishing offers you seven distinct flyfishing experiences, all within 30 miles of Big Timber:
1. Mid-Yellowstone River (Shown above): Legendary among flyfishers, this is America's largest undammed natural river - Rich in wildlife, diverse, bucolic; come and discover it's allure.
2. Boulder River/Boulder Section: Pocket water, big rapids and some beautiful pools - all fished on a scenic private ranch.
3. Boulder River/Meadow Section: A classic, meandering dry-fly stream, with easy wading and outstanding vistas on a very private ranch.
4. Boulder River Float: Depending on water flows, floating the Boulder can be a great choice. These floats take you through great pocket water, big rapids and deep pools. What a great way to experiance the Boulder valley!
5. Scenic Yellowstone/Boulder River Float : Enjoy this option with one, two, three or four of your friends and family. This trip is a relaxing journey down the Yellowstone River - where there is no better place to see the majesty of Big Sky country.
6. Private Lake Float Tubing: April, May and June are ideal times to enjoy midge, damselfly, and callibaetis hatches on pastoral ranch ponds nestled against the Crazy
7. Local Creeks: These are the first areas to clear up after spring runoff and can be a great choice for those looking for a unique type of fishing or for those that make their way to Big Timber Country when conditions are not favorable on the Boulder and Yellowstone unfishable. Access on local creeks are through senic private ranches.
A Customized Flyfishing Experience
While there are many appetizing rivers in the area, BTFF recommends the Yellowstone and Boulder for overall appeal. The Yellowstone is fished walk/wade at the unique and scenic Thompson Ranch or floated from a comfortable drift boat/raft, with stops at 'hot' riffles, pools and side channels. The Boulder is a wader's banquet of pocket water and undercut banks. It also can be fished from a comfortable raft with stops at 'hot' riffles and pools.
Whether you're an expert or neophyte flyfisher, BTFF custom-tailors our services to accommodate your desires. Instruction if you a want or helpful but 'hands-off' guiding.
Even our stream side picnic feasts can be customized to special dietary needs.
Fishing Trip Options:
BTFF offers outings on the Yellowstone and Boulder Rivers, as well as selected small streams and private lakes. Depending upon the water being fished, you can float, walk/wade or float-tube. Private access with rod fees will be used unless public land access is requested. Check with BTFF for details.
Groups of one to eight can be accommodated - never with more than two flyfishers per boat for maximum enjoyment.
840 Boulder Road
Big Timber, MT 59011